Re: I think too many people are downloading 10g database

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2004 18:25:34 -0800

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message news:<alGWb.158030$U%5.715865_at_attbi_s03>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > Good documentation is worth a lot to a customer. Given we usually
> aren't
> > > printing it out anymore the cost is more so the cost of production not
> of
> > > printing.
> > >
> > > I would like to get more familiar with Oracle 10G and Linux. I have a
> > > couple of older machines that would be perfect for trying it out, but to
> get
> > > RH AS 3 is rather pricey. Might be nice if one could download a minimal
> RH
> > > version that would work with Oracle 10G. It would help support Linux
> and
> > > Oracle on Linux.
> > > Jim
> >
> > Now this is an interesting one. Red Hat Advanced Server is still Linux,
> > isn't it? And Linux is Open Source, isn't it? And therefore if you know a
> > friend that has a copy of Advanced Server, is it not perfectly legitimate
> > copy it and use it? Fair enough that you don't get any of the Red Hat
> > support services etc etc, but the O/S itself is utterly copyable.
> Surely???
> >
> > Anyone with any different advice, I'd be happy to hear it and the reasons
> > why.
> >
> > Meantime, Jim: it works just fine of RH8 and RH9 which are definitely
> free.
> > I've been busy today!
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
> > Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com
> >

> Thanks I'll use 8 or 9. RH hasn't released a distribution of AS. You can
> get source and I guess compile that.(ugh) I am not looking for support;
> certainly I would not expect free support. I'll give 8 or 9 a whirl.
> Thanks,
> Jim

Okay, I have not personally evalutated the products at this site. I strongly believe that Red Hat should have a sustainable revenue model, and I do not mind paying for a SUPPORTED quality operating system.

If you are just kicking the tires or want to have a development box, you might want to consider:

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

Basically, I think that Red Hat dropped the ball here. They should GIVE developers copies to develop and test upon. In Red Hat at SuSE's defense, they did exactly that at LinuxWorldExpo.

their best defense against other companies or individuals rebranding their work is to seed the developer marketplace with their software, so that it gets used in production.

have a read of the site, I'm quite interested in feedback.

Pd Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 20:25:34 CST