Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:34:59 +0100

Michael Rothwell <marothwellRemoveThis_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware
>configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some real
>world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i. The
>box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP system with
>tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100 concurrent users, but
>this may double soon. Can I expect better performance from the Linux box?

Someone will perhaps confirm or deny these differences: There is no such thing like shared memory in Windows (disadvantage). The lack of OS buffering in Windows turns out to be a "built-in" advantage when running Oracle. In most cases, one would rather mount file systems with the directio option to avoid double buffering. Windows does not need to disable what it does not have.

Whenever I ran Oracle on Windows and Linux, these were different machines, so I can't really compare. But I have only seen Oracle getting unrestartable only in Windows, and exactly only once.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 16:34:59 CST