Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:29:19 +0100

Michael Rothwell wrote:

> Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware
> configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some real
> world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i. The
> box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP system with
> tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100 concurrent users, but
> this may double soon. Can I expect better performance from the Linux box?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Yes, I have - and taken OUT memory while at the process (512M->384M) Switched from W2K (which once started as NT4) to RH7.3. Database involved was an 8iEE Rel. 3 (8.1.7), used as development machine; 2 433MHz Celerons, 2 IDE HD's (different size, though). It died about 6 months ago - the MoBo is still on my desk.

Impressions (no measured tests, it as not expected!): on Linux, about 20-30% faster (DB Creation time is a fine example, as all my own scripts usually have the same options and parameters).

Not even an optimized kernel; which is actually a must!

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel