Re: To be or not to be a DBA

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 13 Feb 2004 07:53:27 -0800

brsanthu_at_yahoo.com (Santhosh Kumar) wrote in message news:<9daf2a44.0402121001.dc61fdf_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I have been working in this industry for more than 6 years and have
> good experience in J2ee (Design and development) and Oracle
> (development and dev admin) (lots other like vb and c++, although they
> are not my primary skills).
>
> I had always been curious about Oracle and wanted to know in detail
> about the same. So around one and half years back, I took the
> certification and completed 8i recently. I started mere out of
> curiosity but learned a lot in detail at the end of whole process. Now
> I'm thinking, as I have completed the cert and also have good amount
> of knowledge in Oracle administration, to get into the DBA profession.
> As everybody else, obviously I'm looking for some lucrative career.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome regd,
> 1. Whether to get into the dba profession or not
> 2. Is dba is any lucrative career than J2ee architecture and design?
> 3. Or any other thoughts you have regd this
>
> Santhosh.

software engineering profession is MUCH better than the DBA profession in terms of the job market. Its not even close. I have seen companies hiring 10-20 Software Engineers at a time recently. The new model is to move most of the application development to software engineers who know a little SQL and PL/SQL, then hire a small database team. Its not across the board, but common. This means less database jobs and more software engineering jobs. Its not too relavent whether people people feel its a good idea or not, we don't hire ourselves.

Far more work in the software engineering market. Particularly java. Dont stay too focused on java, Microsoft is the monster and .Net might over take it, but if your a software engineer you can always switch to the new platform. Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 09:53:27 CST