Re: What would you call an interesting day...?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:35:26 +0100

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0402112259.408ad782_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>It likely depends on your definition of "interesting".
>>
>>There is an old Chinese curse that goes something like "may you lead
>>an interesting life". Which rings true at times.
>>

>>                        A Description of The Interesting Times
>>                               in The Life of an Oracle DBA
>>                                         (feel free to add to list)

> If I remember corectly the curse is: .May you live in interesting
> times".
>
> And my add: Today I realised that an external vendor company send a
> new version of a data model to be implemented in a test database as a
> FULL EXPORT dump. Probably term SQL script didn't ring a bell. I've
> got an unclear suspicion (maybe it is just superstition) that these
> guy will not treat our databases with proper manner in the future. :-)
>
> --
> Dusan Bolek

Oh - I love that one. Been there, cursed them! The project leader on the project I'm
cuurently on kind of gasped when I declared I'd wanted some 70MB of source code scripted for the installation, not in a dump.
I convinced him to allow me to do just that; a couple of scripts to empty the source safe, clean it up, generate the execute scripts - done! Faster and cleaner than a dump!

Insist on getting scripts.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel