Database with different character set problems

From: David <david_at_david.nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:16:58 +0800

Hi all,

  I have two database (Oracle 8.1.7 in Solaris platform), database testing1 is UTF8 character set, database testing2 is ZHT16BIG5 character set.

  When I create a database link from testing1 to testing2, and execute (testing_chinese is a table with varchar2(10)):

select * from testing_chinese_at_testing1;

   I found that only first three characters is selected in database testing1. I know that this is because in ZHT16BIG5, each character is represented by 2 byte. However, in UTF8, each character (chinese) is represented by 3 bytes. So only the first characters is selected. The above select statement is issued in SQL*Plus on Windows platform.

  How can I retrieve all chinese characters in database testing1?

  On the other hand, I found that if database testing1 is 9i (character set is UTF8), I can retrieve all characters from database testing2 (testing2 is still 8.1.7, ZHT16BIG5). I don't understand why 9i can retrieve all characters. Is the UTF8 in 9i is different from UTF in 8i?

Thanks,
David Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 08:16:58 CST