Re: reduce wait times

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:02:04 -0000

Is the etl procedure run from a script or specific program? if so a much better approach to tuning it would be as follows

1, immediately before it starts, in either the script or the program issue ALTER SESSION SET MAX_DUMP_FILE_SIZE=UNLIMITED; -- might not be valid on 816 so you might need just a large number
ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 TRACE NAME CONTEXT FOREVER, LEVEL 8'; 2. run your procedure
3. after the procedure has finished issue ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 TRACE NAME CONTEXT OFF'; this will generate a (possibly huge) trace file containing timing information about *only* the process in which you are interested.

if you run that through tkprof with sort=(prsela,exeela,fchela) as your sort ptions it will produce a more easily readable file with your most time consuming (and therefore problematic) statements handily placed right at the top. This will likely save you valuable troubleshooting time because you are only looking at what you wish to tune.

statspack is good for short periods and for system overview. sql_trace as per the above is good for tuning problem processes.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA