Re: I think too many people are downloading 10g database

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:36:23 +1100

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0402121746.53df4e3_at_posting.google.com...

> Hey, offer to build these guys' asia/pacific region :-)
> http://www.currenttechnologies.com/

been done. they were called Powerlan and are now a non-entity: funding dried up. Energy Australia might be interested, their network of distribution is ginormous.

Mind you, I still think this broadband thing has to be approached from the point of view of government infrastructures. Just like roads, parks, schools, etcetc.

Get local councils to install and operate the local broadband piping, as part of their social infra-structure obligation. Then concentrate and connect them to main channels, leased from private industry.

This way, one doesn't get into a dirty fight with pernickety local council laws and restrictions, while users still get competition in provision of main thoroughfares.

Very much like what happens now with roads: councils take care of local roads, main freeways or motorways are privately owned. Council roads connect to them on common access points. Makes a lot of sense. Councils are dimensioned to take care of smaller roads while big companies can attack the problem of maintaining main thoroughfares efficiently.

I can't even begin to understand the waste we have here with TWO main broadband hardware channels in front of where I live and none where HJR lives. Ridiculous waste.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto