Re: reduce wait times

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:52:23 -0000

"gp" <gieppetto_at_tiscali.it> wrote in message news:c0i34i$plh$1_at_fata.cs.interbusiness.it...

Hi

Do you actually believe that you have a performance issue, or are you trying to learn about statspack?

Your snapshot spans a whole day, essentially it will be useless for performance tuning since you have just aggregated everything that happened in the last 24 hours (including presumably if this is a prod system at least 1 backup). You might use such a report as a baseline for your systems, but that is probably about the extent of its usefulness.

I hear a number of good things about Donald Burleson's book on statspack, though I can't say that I have read it, so if you are trying to get to grips just with statspack you might have a browse of that book in your nearest bookshop and see if it is suitable. If you want to get a better understanding of waiting and performance tuning though, you should get Oracle Performance Tuning 101 http://tinyurl.com/3egqh which does cover the statspack utility, but teaches the whys and wherefores of wait event based tuning. This book I *have* read and is excellent.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA