Re: For the SQL Gurus out there, a question

From: Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) <mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:14:34 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1076311321.975718_at_yasure...
> Anith Sen wrote:
> > Representation of data in a relational database is by definition,
logical. I
> > am more interested in knowing why this schema, irrespective of the
number of
> > tables, has anything to do with physical design.
>
> We are talking here about Database 101. If you need a course in
> relational theory and relational database architecture take it at a
> local college or university. If you are not familiar with the work of
> E.F. Cobb and Chris Date you have no business getting behind the keyboard.

Au contraire, I think you're the one that needs to review here.

Cobb would say that the whole point is that you don't NEED to worry about the physical design.

The database could be stored via pieces of paper in a pigeon-hole desk for all the dba cares about.

So again, what does the logical design have to do with the physical design?