Re: Intra-Partition Parallelism?

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:34:57 +0100

Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

>Oracle can do parallel DML on non-partitioned tables, it can also do
>parallel DML on partitions of a partitioned table. Which one are you
>asking about?

As I clearly said, I am asking about non-partitioned tables.

>One good way to determine if parallel DML is being used is the "explain
>plan" mechanism, available several ways such as TKPROF or Oracle
>Enterprise Manager (OEM).

Yes but what *specific* information in this plan will show me that this *specific* type of access is taking place?

>Under Unix you can also look for various processes at the OS level (for
>example those including ora_xxx_P001, ora_xxx_P002) to confirm that
>parallel processing is taking place.

You will see those even if nothing is running in parallel and parallelism is set from the init parameters. You will see those even if most of them are doing nothing. That would be a poor confirmation.

>Trade-offs? Well of course each CPU can only run one process at any
>given instant, so I wouldn't bother trying to run 10 parallel processes
>on a two-CPU machine if you expect each one to be very busy... ;-)

Of course but I was rather addressing the comparison between "normal" parallelism (with partitioned tables, for example) and parallelism with non-partitioned tables!

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Thu Feb 12 2004 - 15:34:57 CST