Re: To be or not to be a DBA

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:05:23 +1100

"Santhosh Kumar" <brsanthu_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9daf2a44.0402121001.dc61fdf_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I have been working in this industry for more than 6 years and have
> good experience in J2ee (Design and development) and Oracle
> (development and dev admin) (lots other like vb and c++, although they
> are not my primary skills).
>
> I had always been curious about Oracle and wanted to know in detail
> about the same. So around one and half years back, I took the
> certification and completed 8i recently. I started mere out of
> curiosity but learned a lot in detail at the end of whole process. Now
> I'm thinking, as I have completed the cert and also have good amount
> of knowledge in Oracle administration, to get into the DBA profession.
> As everybody else, obviously I'm looking for some lucrative career.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome regd,
> 1. Whether to get into the dba profession or not
> 2. Is dba is any lucrative career than J2ee architecture and design?
> 3. Or any other thoughts you have regd this
>
> Santhosh.

Strikes me that the DBA job as it has been traditionally thought of is a dead-end. Someone who can do a bit of database maintenance, but in the meantime develop, debug and document, is likely more the way of the future. J2EE is a 'hot' technology (whether that's a good thing or not is another question) and is/will be in some demand.

A developer that can't administer (or at least understand how to), is probably not a particularly good developer. A DBA that can't develop is likely going to be out of a job sometime soon.

None of it is particularly lucrative these days, because there are vast hoardes of people who will do the work for very much cheaper than you could probably afford to do it, even if they are located several thousand kilometres off-shore. The days of the hot-shot DBA commanding six figure salaries (if they really ever existed) are genuinely no more.

Regards
HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com