Re: I think too many people are downloading 10g database

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:21:43 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:402a9b9b$0$15135$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I could burn you one this morning and have it in the mail this
> > afternoon, but its wed already so your almost there in any case.
> >
> > I was wondering tho, I havent seen any minimum hardware requirements for
> > 10G, are they similar to 9i?
> >
> > cheers
>
> Thanks for the offer, but yes, at 1.53am it finished.
>
> The hardware requirements look about the same -they're still quoting 512MB
> RAM etc.

It will install and run on a machine with 256mb ram. It isn't much fun tho :(

> I have to say, however, that the installation guide for Linux, HP-UX,
> Solaris and AIX is the most apalling piece of documentation I have ever
laid
> eyes on (as it has always been). Why in Heavens' name can they not have
> separate documents for each O/S?? Why do I have to wade through page after
> page of AIX-specific stuff hoping to catch a glimpse of the next bit of
the
> Linux install instructions? If they must all be in the same document, why
> aren't they in different sections of that document?

I agree entirely, however there is a 'quick install guide for Linux' or some similar name on the actual CD which is well laid out and easy to follow. Of course I did get a segmentation fault running OUI after following the instructions in this document :( methinks setting shmmax to 128mb might have been an error)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA