Re: I think too many people are downloading 10g database

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:38:33 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1076563558.25666_at_yasure...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> > "Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> I could burn you one this morning and have it in the mail this
> >>afternoon, but its wed already so your almost there in any case.
> >>
> >>I was wondering tho, I havent seen any minimum hardware requirements for
> >>10G, are they similar to 9i?
> >>
> >>cheers
> >

> > Thanks for the offer, but yes, at 1.53am it finished.
> >
> > The hardware requirements look about the same -they're still quoting
512MB
> > RAM etc.
> >
> > I have to say, however, that the installation guide for Linux, HP-UX,
> > Solaris and AIX is the most apalling piece of documentation I have ever
laid
> > eyes on (as it has always been). Why in Heavens' name can they not have
> > separate documents for each O/S?? Why do I have to wade through page
after
> > page of AIX-specific stuff hoping to catch a glimpse of the next bit of
the
> > Linux install instructions? If they must all be in the same document,
why
> > aren't they in different sections of that document?
> >
> > It's enough to make you give up! But on this occasion, I won't.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> I rarely agree with Oracle bashing but in this case you have my complete
> agreement. The cost of separating the documentation would be minimal and
> there is no longer the excuse of extra printing cost. One copy of Adobe
> Distiller and a $20/hr. employee for a few hours and it is done.
>
> Really Mark ... this is a major irritant and I can't see the effort to
> separate the documentation as either a burden or an expense. Can we get
> your support?
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Good documentation is worth a lot to a customer. Given we usually aren't printing it out anymore the cost is more so the cost of production not of printing.

I would like to get more familiar with Oracle 10G and Linux. I have a couple of older machines that would be perfect for trying it out, but to get RH AS 3 is rather pricey. Might be nice if one could download a minimal RH version that would work with Oracle 10G. It would help support Linux and Oracle on Linux.
Jim Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 23:38:33 CST