Installing Oracle 10 G on RedHat 9

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:08:11 +0100

For the record, just got it installed, it's going through the db creation now, and here's how I got it done:

Installing Oracle10 G on RedHat 9

Some version information:
kernel: 2.4.20-8
binutils-2.13.90.0.18-9

compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.118
libgcc-3.2.2-5
compat-gcc-c++-7.3-2.96.118

gcc-3.2.2-5
gcc-c++-3.2.2-5
compat-gcc-g77-7.3-2.96.118
kernel-utils-2.4-8.29
glibc-common-2.3.2-5
glibc-2.3.2-5
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.10
glibc-devel-2.3.2-5

Basically, a standard RedHat9 system, with downgraded glibc.

[root_at_csdb01 root]# groupadd dba10
[root_at_csdb01 root]# useradd oracle10 -g dba10
[root_at_csdb01 root]# passwd oracle10

Changing password for user oracle10.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[root_at_csdb01 root]#cd /oinstall
[root_at_csdb01 oracle101]# su - oracle10
[root_at_csdb01 oinstall]# su - oracle10
[oracle10_at_csdb01 oracle10]$ cd /oinstall/oracle101/
[oracle10_at_csdb01 oracle101]$ zcat ship.db.cpio.gz | cpio -idmv
... unpacking

Logoff oracle10, we don't need the telnet/SSH for oracle10.

Move your oraInst.loc to a safe location - I use the home diry of the install owner:
[root_at_csdb01 oinstall]# mv /etc/oraInst.loc /home/oracle/

Now, start a graphic terminal; I use vnc. Open a terminal session, switch to oracle10, and fire up the installer: To find out the options: runInstaller -help To see what we should

    actually have purchased: runInstaller -executeSysPrereqs To get it going: runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs

The installer looks better than the OUI 2.2 - it's smoother. Choose the Custom install (as always ;-)) The linking required some time - more than 9i, but went without a glitch! The root.sh script was slow:

Adding entry to /etc/oratab file...
Entries will be added to the /etc/oratab file as needed by Database Configuration Assistant when a database is created Finished running generic part of root.sh script. Now product-specific root actions will be performed. /etc/oracle does not exist. Creating it now. Successfully accumulated necessary OCR keys. Creating OCR keys for user 'root', privgrp 'root'.. Operation successful.
Oracle Cluster Registry for cluster has been initialized

Adding to inittab
Checking the status of Oracle init process... Expecting the CRS daemons to be up within 600 seconds.

And then wait, until:

CSS is active on these nodes.

         csdb01
CSS is active on all nodes.
Oracle CSS service is installed and running under init(1M)

The Net Configuration Assistant has given me problems in this stage for previous releases, so I just let it do a "typical" configuration. That usually gets it done.

As ASSM requires yet another instance, I choose not to (in this stage) opt for ASSM.
Created the scripts for the database, after which the installer tells me to remember the ultrasearch locations: http:/localhost:5620/ultrasearch and http:/localhost:5620/ultrasearch/admin

After setting the maxsize on the datafiles, and increasing logfile size to 100MB (from a default 10MB), I fired the script, which lets me choose the well-known passwords for sys and system, which were denied by the installer.
Before the script would run with any form of success, I had to alter .bash_profile, and added:
# Oracle Environment

export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle10
export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle10/1001
export ORACLE_SID=o1001
export ORACLE_TERM=xterm

export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8;
export TMP=/tmp
export TMPDIR=/tmp

  #Set shell search paths

export PATH=$PATH:.:$ORACLE_HOME/bin

Takes a while, but I now have an Oracle 10 Release 1 instance running... With less pain than getting 9iRel2 installed.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel