Re: Is it just me?

From: Paul Moore <pf_moore_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:58:39 +0000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> writes:

> only trivially. runInstaller --help will tell you how to ignore it.
>
> now of course I can't create a f13658812487^%&E$%££$% database, but i'm
> pretty sure that is down to not RTFM :(

I god a DB up and running first time, on SuSE 8.0, but EM wouldn't work ("cannot find host name from URL..." or some such message). Upgraded to 8.2, and now I can't get a DB started! Not enough shared memory first time, but I fixed that and it still fails :-(

Bah. I might reinstall the whole OS (again!) and retry, but I'm not feeling good about the whole experience :-(

Oh, and the fact that the install notes say to run ulimit to set the max # files and processes, but Linux has a hard-coded restriction (AFAICT) disallowing non-root users from increasing their limits, only made it worse. OK, I suppose it's barely possible that the certified OS versions have removed this limitation, but somehow I suspect it's more likely that the docs are wrong.

9.2 on Windows seems like a far better option...

Paul.

--
This signature intentionally left blank