Re: Partitioning and updates limitation

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:58:21 GMT

> Is it possible to Offline /online a partition without Offline all the
> table?

Yes, if that partition is in a separate tablespace. If they are all in the same tablespace, then when you take the tablespace offline, it will take everything in that tablespace offline.

> Is it posible to be in update mode (insert, delete, update) on a
> partition while an other partition of the same table is
> disable(restoring, back-up...)?

Yes, particularly if they are in different tablespaces. This does not mean that a request on data that is supposed to be available will not fail just because the tablespace is offline.

> Is there a lot of diferences between Oracle 9 and Oracle 8, on the
> partition option?

There have been improvements between Oracle 8's partitioning, Oracle 8i's partitioning and Oracle 9i's partitiong. Personally, I'm not sure why you are even considering Oracle 8. It is an old, unsupported release. Go straight to 9i.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com