Re: v$session slow?

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:29:05 +0100

"Alex Schonlinner" <schonlinner_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:56fd2574.0402110938.95596cc_at_posting.google.com... > "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message news:<4029ef7b$0$28142$626a14ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> > "Alex Schonlinner" <schonlinner_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > in our production database we would like to use an update trigger on
> > > an table, which accesses v$session in order to extract the information
> > > about the person who is currently performing this update.
> > >
> > > I thought I have read something about *not* using v$session for such
> > > purposes because it may be very slow.
> > >
> > > Is this correct? If yes, what other methods are there?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Alex
> >
> > What is your Oracle version?
> > Which information do you need to get?

> The Oracle version is 8.1.7.3
>
> The information we would like to use is osuser, machine and program from
> v$session, so our system can recognize who (i.e. what interface or human
> being) made the update.
>
> But as I said above, I'm personally anxious about retrieving that information
> from v$session.
> But I'm not sure why...it's only a feeling not to use such views for such
> jobs...
>
> But perhaps others have a much better experience with Oracle...
>
> Regards,
>   Alex

select sys_context('USERENV','OS_USER') osuser,

    sys_context('USERENV','HOST') machine from dual;

For program, you have to create your own context and set it in a logon trigger from v$session then retrieve your context data as for the system USERENV context.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 12:29:05 CST