Re: v$session slow?

From: Alex Schonlinner <schonlinner_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 09:38:28 -0800

"Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message news:<4029ef7b$0$28142$626a14ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> "Alex Schonlinner" <schonlinner_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Hi,
> >
> > in our production database we would like to use an update trigger on
> > an table, which accesses v$session in order to extract the information
> > about the person who is currently performing this update.
> >
> > I thought I have read something about *not* using v$session for such
> > purposes because it may be very slow.
> >
> > Is this correct? If yes, what other methods are there?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alex
>
> What is your Oracle version?
> Which information do you need to get?

The Oracle version is 8.1.7.3

The information we would like to use is osuser, machine and program from v$session, so our system can recognize who (i.e. what interface or human being) made the update.

But as I said above, I'm personally anxious about retrieving that information from v$session.
But I'm not sure why...it's only a feeling not to use such views for such jobs...

But perhaps others have a much better experience with Oracle...

Regards,
  Alex Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 11:38:28 CST