Re: I think too many people are downloading 10g database

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:06:26 GMT

DJ wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>;-)

>>>Just started mine, so far so good, 140-160 Kb/sec, should be done in an
>>>hour or so.
>>>
>>>Now if my SuSE 9 wasn't lost in purolator-land I could use this box with
>>>the new MB and SATA drives to test it out...(if its better than RH9 at
>>>seeing the sata drives, that is)
>>>
>>>Geez Howard, probably faster if I burn you a cd this afternoon and mail
>>>it to you!!
>>>

>>I'm open to offers!!!
>>
>>I had a look at faster options last night. ISDN -a pathetic 128kbps for
>>around $90 per month, uploads and downloads included in the paltry
>
> bandwidth
>

>>allocation. ADSL is out, because I'm a huge 100kms from the CBD and no
>>exchanges are enabled around here. Ditto for cable. Satellite is looking
>>good, apart from the fact that one-way satellite is $90 per month at
>
> 400kbps
>

>>with just 1GB bandwidth (which I was quick to realise is only about one
>>Oracle CD's worth, plus posting here and a bit of light news surfing at
>
> the
>

>>BBC), and there's a hefty several hundred dollar charge for installation.
>>Two-way satellite is even scarier. If I want a 3GB bandwidth limit at
>>400kbps in both directions, I'm looking at (from memory) $250 per month,
>>plus the huge installation costs, and uploads are counted as bandwidth,
>
> and
>

>>if I don't use any of my bandwidth one month, it's lost for ever not
>
> rolled
>

>>over. Oh and you have to stay signed up for 18 months, and if you jump
>
> ship
>

>>early, they'll charge you another $400 departure tax.
>>
>>It's a scam, I tell you!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>HJR
>>--
>>Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com
>>

> but you get to live where you are living :-)

Thats what I keep telling myself, my quiet,rural lakefront location beside 100 acres of forested crown land is the price I pay for 28.8 (31.3 on occasion) connection. Whats maddening about it is I'm only about 8 km's from the town (which has adsl now) as the crow flies. I've looked into satellite as well, there is a 2-way solution available for <100C$ a month with a few hundred$ setup, a couple of us lucky ones here in our IT dept get to try it out (not me) and they say its good but there is a noticeable 800ms lag so it's not great for some things but in any case better than dial-up. I bought the sattelite tv reciever that promised 2-way affordable internet soon, but that was 2 years ago and appears to be a pipe-dream not likely to be a reality anytime soon. Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 10:06:26 CST