Re: Is there a Database event that occurs when a row is inserted/updated in a table?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 10 Feb 2004 23:00:17 -0800

sunil_at_volcanomail.com (Jack Wright) wrote in message news:<8f556eeb.0402100303.524e53e8_at_posting.google.com>...
> I would prefer Oracle to implement/expose such events in future...I
> guess it will not be too far when there will be database events that
> will be able to do this...

It's not far at all. MOF, they have done that ages ago, about 10 years ago tp be precise.
Oracle called them PRE (and POST) INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE triggers. You define what you want done, in the trigger. It is executed IN the database, where it should be.

That is how you execute code on INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE "events" in ANY relational database worth its name. No need to reinvent cold water and badge-engineer this as "database events" all of a sudden just because it's the flavour of the month with the OO brigade.

And dont even DREAM of getting these "events" pushed out of the db so they could be processed in a "nice" middle tier. It ain't gonna happen, with ANY database: the overhead would just be ridiculous. Ah yes, that's not usually a problem...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Feb 11 2004 - 01:00:17 CST