Re: I think too many people are downloading 10g database

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:55:52 +1100

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:md7Wb.15977$7Q1.15136_at_clgrps12...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message

;-)

> >>Still coming in over here... at about 70kB/sec, which is far less than
> >>usual; normally I get about 160kB/sec or more from OTN
> >>--
> >

> > Agreed. I'm still chugging along at 2.2K/sec. 30% complete! Thursday's
> > looking promising.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> Just started mine, so far so good, 140-160 Kb/sec, should be done in an
> hour or so.

> Now if my SuSE 9 wasn't lost in purolator-land I could use this box with
> the new MB and SATA drives to test it out...(if its better than RH9 at
> seeing the sata drives, that is)
>

> Geez Howard, probably faster if I burn you a cd this afternoon and mail
> it to you!!

I'm open to offers!!!

I had a look at faster options last night. ISDN -a pathetic 128kbps for around $90 per month, uploads and downloads included in the paltry bandwidth allocation. ADSL is out, because I'm a huge 100kms from the CBD and no exchanges are enabled around here. Ditto for cable. Satellite is looking good, apart from the fact that one-way satellite is $90 per month at 400kbps with just 1GB bandwidth (which I was quick to realise is only about one Oracle CD's worth, plus posting here and a bit of light news surfing at the BBC), and there's a hefty several hundred dollar charge for installation. Two-way satellite is even scarier. If I want a 3GB bandwidth limit at 400kbps in both directions, I'm looking at (from memory) $250 per month, plus the huge installation costs, and uploads are counted as bandwidth, and if I don't use any of my bandwidth one month, it's lost for ever not rolled over. Oh and you have to stay signed up for 18 months, and if you jump ship early, they'll charge you another $400 departure tax.

It's a scam, I tell you!

Cheers,
HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com