Re: SERVEROUTPUT Status

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:38:11 -0500

Hi Daniel

Why do you (and others before) say that DBMS_OUTPUT does not belong to production code?

I have PL/SQL blocks that are executed in batch mode (for daily update etc) and I output messages like:

6576 rows updated
8765 rows inserted

at the end of the run so that when I look at the log file I know it did what I expected it to do. If it runs and no message is printed, how do I know for sure that it actually did something?
Of course, I could output those to a table (I do for some jobs that run using DBMS_JOB) but for those running in the batch queue (this is OpenVMS, a little bit like a CRON on Un*x) I prefer having the log file. Again, this is a concept (log files for batch jobs) that does not exist on Windoze.

So if you feel I should not, ever, use it, can you explain why?

Thanks

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4