Re: Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:04:34 GMT

> It seems that some of you find the idea of a Mac running Oracle vaguely
> amusing!

Not amusing at all. Mac systems are fine systems. However, they are few and far between in most IT shops. So supporting them can be difficult at times. This is especially true when trying to get 3rd party software to work. And as far as Mac systems are concerned, Oracle client software is a 3rd party application. If the 3rd party vendor won't support the platform, how can we? And as I said, I really could care less that Oracle is now supporting the OS X platform for the RDBMS software. There is no way I'd run Oracle on OS X similar to the fact that I wouldn't run Oracle on a Windows desktop. However, I do need the Oracle client software to run on OS X so that the few people who use Macs that I do have to support can connect to the database.

Personally, most database applications should be application server based with a very thin client on the front end. This way, Macs, Linux desktops, Windows, whatever can use the app, provided the very thin client is for that platform. But not every application can be deployed that way.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com