Re: OEM - Node Discovery Failed

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:14:21 +1100

"jiggaman" <jiggamanrocks_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5374d389.0402090935.3735dafa_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use OEM 2.2 to manage a few database that we have.
> however every time I run the Node Discovery wizard it fails giving
> the following Error
> "Discovery Failed : VNI-4044 Cannot contact agent. Node may be down
> or, the network may be down or slow"
>
> In the windows control panel under sevices I see that the
> Oracle<ORACLE_HOME>Agent services is running. however when i go the
> console into LSNRCTL and give the dbsnmp_status command it says "The
> db subagent is not started". Since I get that message i run
> dbsnmp_start and it just give the the LSNRCTL command prompt. Note
> that when i run the command dbsnmp_start is doesnt give me any error
> or success conformation messages. once again i check the status of the
> dbsnmp and it says the "the db subagent is not started". I also tried
> deleting all the files int eh <orahome>/network/agent directory and
> then started the service using windows control panel . I get no errors
> however when i try to discover the node it keeps failing.
>
> Since this is a initial testing scenario I have two database instances
> running on the samebox and one of them contains the repository. I
> dunno if this is something that is creating the problem . do i need a
> seperate instance just for the repository? or is it something else
> that i need to fix.
>
> Your help will be apprieciated
>
> TIA
>
> Jigga

No, you are supposed to have two separate instances and databases, and put the repository in one (usually called OEMREP) and use that to manage the other (your "real" database). In a production setting, one would expect OEMREP to be running on an entirely seaparate machine, but it's not compulsory to do so, and I run two-on-one-node all the time. So you're doing OK there.

A number of things spring to mind regarding your problem, but all of them revolve around networking configuration. Have you changed your machine's name at all? Installing Oracle when the machine has one name, and then changing it, can produce odd effects (such as the Management Server refusing to start, which isn't your problem, but sounds similar). Does your listener.ora have a static declaration of a SID_LIST? Can you connect to your instances via SQL*Plus using a tnsnames alias? Is there an ORACLE_HOME\network\agent\log file we can see the contents of? Are you doing odd things like terminal services?

Not sure you should have deleted *all* the files in O_H\network\agent: just the services.ora and the .q files would have been sufficient. If you've done more damage than that, you could be in trouble.

Regards
HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com