Re: HA without a cluster

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 9 Feb 2004 07:51:01 -0800

teehan_at_hotmail.com (dba) wrote in message news:<f9a2fc58.0402090203.6de946_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have to deploy a new system that has some level of HA (not even
> three nines though) - on Sun, and I dont want all the complications
> and expense of sun cluster. I would like two low end dual CPU sun
> boxes, each attached to an small external storage array (50GB?), one
> running apps, one running Oracle, and the ability to mount the
> respective filesystems to either node in the event of a hardware
> failure. Should be simple - its HA for cheap. I dont have money for
> SAN/NAS hardware.
> NFS mounting will probably be too slow, so does that mean I need a
> dual-attach array? If so is it as simple as connecting both servers,
> and managing which node is mounting which filesystems?
>
> Anyone made a cheapie cluster?

I've seen few attempts to achieve something like this on Linux, but I must admit I was not convinced that this is a good approach. For me this wannabe cheap clusters are just very dangerous things that do not have a clear and solid architecture and can compromise your data consistency and/or availability maybe even more than just a single server enviroment.
Clusters are not cheap technology and anyone who want to disregard this is doomed to fail. Home do-it-yourself stuff is maybe great way how to build your own desk, but for cluster I would prefer professional (read as expensive) solution.

--
Dusan Bolek