Re: Is it just me?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 07:05:26 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Good lord Howard what have you been reading? Or perhaps not reading.
>>
>>Recyclebin?

> You mean the flashback past drop ability. Quite brilliant, I agree.

Thanks. I was beginning think you had gotten horribly confused and were looking at Sybase 10 or something.

>>ASM?

> That one I also grant you. (Automatic Space Management). Could make things
> very much easier, and better performing too.

Ready to rephrase your original post yet?

>>ADDM?

> Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor for those less familiar with the
> alphabet soup. Still not ball-grabbingly exciting. I've yet to recover from
> the torpor the 9i advisories induced in me.

Then I'd suggest you put on a cup before you see this.

>>DataPump?

> Can you really get excited about export on steroids? I can't. So I can now
> start an export job and disconnect from it, letting it run in the
> background. Wow! I used to minimise the terminal window to achieve the same
> thing, though.

How about the entire Streams thing connected with it? There is more there than you are seeing.

>>Grid

> Uh huh. And how many people are actually going to end up using this wonder
> we call grid. If it reaches 20% of the install base, I'll eat my kippers
> cold.

As much like you generous $5K offer no outside constraint on the date so get them ready. It may take 10 years ... but I'm calling this one in. ;-)

  It's new, exciting and the buzz-word du jour, but it has relevance
> to... er, not too many. The ones it is of relevance to, of course, are the
> huge corporations that pay most of Oracle's bills, so good luck to them on
> that. But it's exotica -and it was well-trailed, too, so no real excitement
> even there.

It is relevant if you have even two or three servers. Look at the environment where you have Oracle 10g, OAS 10g, a DNS server, and an email server: Pretty common. Why not rope those barely used CPU ticks on the DNS and OAS servers in for end-of-month billing?

>>Surely you jest! This is ground-breaking.

> No, it's all little iddy-biddy bits of nice-to-have convenience. Which is
> good, but not smashing. Take the business about glogin and login.sql being
> re-read after every connect, instead of only when SQL Plus is loaded...
> that's good, and has been on my personal wishlist for a while now. But it's
> hardly technologically ground-breaking stuff, is it?

Which is why I didn't point to it.

> I like the idea of transportable tablespaces across O/S platforms. That
> one's clever. I like the fact that flashback can go back past table drops -a
> brilliant way to avoid having to do incomplete recoveries. I like the fact
> that RMAN can be made to run in a particular maintenance window, and will
> throttle itself back and forth to achieve the backup in the desired
> time-frame. These are good things that will likely make a difference to an
> awful lot of people. But a flushable Buffer Cache? A log file size advisor?
> Yet another advisory to explain why materialised views won't fast refresh?
> These are all a bit of a yawn.

Look up the word "jaded" in your dictionary.

> I'm being harsh, I realise.

Extraordinary. Makes me wonder what in Oracle versions 6, 7, 8, 8i or 9i would have gotten you to stand up and notice?

  And probably not making any friends at a certain
> well-known corporation, either. I'm just saying this sounds like fleshing
> out of 9i, not a bold new step into a new version. The grid stuff is clearly
> brand new, and the '10' is almost certainly largely because of that... but
> apart from that...??
>
> Regards
> HJR
I think you are wrong. I think this is a very bold step. Software is mature. There are not going to be any new killer apps. If they don't shoot themselves in the foot by pricing this higher than SQL Server this is the one that can be used to grab marketshare.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)