Re: How to calibrate the CBO

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:11:57 +1100

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:M3KVb.48945$Wa.14486_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> a few days ago an article on how to speed up loads. Among the gems includes
> the suggestion to "use a small db_cache_size, this will minimize DBWR work"
> !! It's the truth. It also says "At each commit, the DBWR process will try

oh Jeez! I know where that one came from and when: v4.1.4 PC material.

I had an "expert" book-trained-DBA try to force me once to reduce the size of my buffer cache to "reduce multi-user contention for buffers".
On a single-user Oracle/DOS PC application....

This same arsehole managed to get me kicked out of that site, 15 years ago, using arguments of the genre: "what does he know, he's never published a book?" and "I'm just following what the books and the UG experts say, what's he following?". And other such classic pearls.

For once I'm enjoying to see someone with the guts to come out in the open about some of the "claims". Big change from just my voice against the Patels and Geomancers of this world. Love it.

> I'd be interested to know
> what the newsgroup thinks.

No problems whatsoever with your Oracle stuff. Unlike a lot of others, you don't just make claims: you endeavour to provide data to back them. Wish I had more free time to ask you much more and follow it up.

The Bowie stuff I could do without. But then again what excuse would I use for my single-malt scotch and Univac tirades? ;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto