Re: Is it just me?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 9 Feb 2004 04:27:52 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40271772$0$5862$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Or am I not alone in feeling rather underwhelmed by the 10g new features
> document? A tidy bit of bug-fixing, some nice but relatively minor new
> capabilities, and -of course- the ability to do Blast queries (handy when
> I'm trawling through my own genome, which naturally I do on a daily basis.
> Not). Oh, and all that grid hoo-hah too, I suppose -which maybe 20% of the
> installed base might find useful some day.
>
> Nothing gob-smackingly 'wow I wish I had that right now' though (which
> automatic undo, flashback and data guard did for me with 9i, and locally
> managed tablespaces did for me in 8i). Which is all a bit of a downer,
> frankly.
>
> Niggles, too: why has streams (to name but one feature) been "enhanced" to
> support LONGs and LONG RAWs?? I thought those data types were deprecated
> ages ago, and had a shelf-life measured in months. Oh well: that'll teach
> me.

I see 10G as an ultimate service pack or "Everything that pissed you in Oracle from the very beginning is improved now". For example Data Pump. If you look at exp/imp it is outdated, non-performing quite stupid tool with tragic user interface. I want a single $ (US not Australian one) for each hour that I spend in the past explaining to Oracle rookies how to cope with exp/imp limitations and awkwardness. Full import with renamed tablespaces, changing of storage parameters, famous COMPRESS=Y feature, everything so basic and everything must be done in so complicated manner that any rookie here was sh*tting bricks just when he heard these three chars. And now we get a brand new perfect quick easy shiny Data Pump. It should be here years before, but even now thanks Oracle for this.
We will see if already mentioned really new features will be as good as Oracle promise (probably in 11x or at least 10g rel2), but even these "minor" improvements are quite a big leap forward.

--
Dusan Bolek