Re: Oracle 9i features?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:04:11 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> I shouldn'thave given the SQL Server example. Should have known only
> that part would be addressed, my bad.
> I don't think Pascal's question was whether Oracle can create a view.
> Let's presume a more complex example to illustrate.
> Be somecol a shape and morecol another shape. now use intersect(comecol,
> morecol)->shape.
> overlap() is an expensive operation. The idea is to keep the computed
> result persistent for faster access to shift the computation from the
> frequent select to the rarer update at the cost of storage.
 >
> Cheers
> Serge

Well don't let Joe Celko see this or he'll go ballistic. There is almost no excuse in a relational database for storing computation results. Perhaps in a datamart storing metadata but not in an OLTP system. I'd solve the problem in Oracle 9i or 10g by writing a function, native compiled in C, the compute the result on-the-fly.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu