Re: How to calibrate the CBO

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:43:53 GMT

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:4024cac9$0$21306$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com...
> "DBA Infopower Support" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello Rick,
> >
> > Tuning CBO correctly is relatively difficult task.
> >
> > Optimizer uses many documented and undocumented parameter that impact
> > it's decision tree.
> >
> > One of the important parameters to tune is
"optimizer_index_cost_adj".

> > Check below link for some good recommendations:
> > http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_cost_adj.htm
>
> Hmm, not a good article. There is no such thing as a silver bullet and it
> doesn't actually explain what is going on particularly well. Advice that
> says 'change this parameter its a silver bullet' ought to be highly
> distrusted.

Hi Niall,

I think you're being overly kind with the above article describing it simply as "not good". It's yet another in a never ending list of appalling articles by Don Burleson.

It has all the hallmarks of a Don "shocker"; it makes general, unsubstantiated claims, it lacks any proof or evidence to support such claims, it details technical inaccuracies, it's all show and not a shred of any substance. Like, I said, a typical, Don Burleson piece of tripe.

Highlights of this particular shocker include:

There is a relatively simple and effective manner in which to set the optimizer_index_cost_adj parameter appropriately which clearly Don Burleson has absolutely no idea about as it's not once mentioned in his article (as I mention above). Instead, he discusses generalisations, silver bullets and technical inaccuracies without a single shred of evidence to support his claims. Welcome to the fantasyland that is Oracle tuning by Don Burleson. All this by someone who self proclaims to be one of the worlds leading Oracle experts !!

All a bit sad really.

And DBA Power Support, you actually recommend this rubbish ? No wonder your disclaimer is oh sooooo loooonnngggggg !! Shame on you ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Sun Feb 08 2004 - 02:43:53 CST