Re: Oracle Rman Replication

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:25:35 +1100

"RYAN" <sh_toh_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4025e4dd$1_at_news.starhub.net.sg...
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Oracle and I have some question that I hope that someone out
> there can help me.
>
> I have heard the Oracle Rman can do replication of Archives logs. In this
> way, one can setup some sort or Oracle Instances replication accross 2
> machine at different sites.

Nah. Way off. RMAN does backup and recovery. Oracle Streams or Data Guard does transfer of SQL or redo logs across to other instances. Different beasts entirely. Therefore...

> 1. Does amyone know how is the performance of this method of replication
as
> compared to replication software such as veritas?

Irrelevant. The premis doesn't compute, therefore the comparison is moot.

> 2. Lets say if the transcation is about 256kbps can Oracle replication to
be
> configured to replicate across 2 2Mbps WAN link so that at any time of
> failure, only 15 min of data is loss?

Sounds a bit feeble for robust replication, actually.

> 3. If anyone would recommend, which mothod to replication is better?
Oracle
> or Veritas VVR?

Wouldn't have a clue. But I'd recommend you learn the difference between RMAN, Data Guard and Streams. Just for starters.

PS. A post does NOT need to be posted to every conceivable newsgroup to warrant a reply. Please post these sorts of questions to .oracle.server, and leave it at that. Otherwise, you become a spammer, and deserving of abuse and contempt. I have trimmed your massive cross-post accordingly.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Feb 08 2004 - 02:25:35 CST