Re: Start oralce 92 manually on WinXP

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:35:20 +1100

"Oracle4Unix" <lazyoracle_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d8a63e05.0402061429.35b6ed2d_at_posting.google.com...
> hi,
>
> I am switching my Oracle practice from Solaris to Windows.
> I'm wondering how to start up oracle server in command line?
>
> So far, I use "net start OracleServiceDBNAME", it worked fine. But
> when I tried another way "sqlplus /nolog; conn sys/sys_pw as sysdba",
> it showed:
> "ERROR: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error." It is supposed to be
> "Connected to an idle instance". My tnsnames.ora is absolutely
> correct. What is wrong?

Nothing. Windows isn't Solaris, so the architecture is completely different. In particular, on Windows you have to pre-allocate the memory in which the instance will run by starting a service (which is what you "net start" command is doing). Without that service running, then attempts to connect to an instance will fail with the error message you get. Start the service first, then you can start and stop the instance within the memory that the service makes available to you.

> Another thing is about shutting down Oracle in command line,
> similarly, I can use either "net stop OracleServiceDBName"

Which kills the service, so the memory allocated to the instance is killed too, and the instance running within that memory effectively just blows up.

>or "sqlplus
> /nolog; conn sys/sys_pw as sysdba; shutdown",

Which kills the instance. Doesn't mean that the memory in which that instance was running, provided by the service, is released.

>both work well, but the
> former releases all Oracle threads from memory completely, the latter
> leaves 3 Oracle threads taking about 23m. What are these remaining
> threads for?

Internal magic for re-starting the instance when requested.

> Plus, with these remaing Oracle threads running, "sqlplus /nolog; conn
> sys/sys_pw as sysdba" will leads to "Connected to an idle instance",
> just like the way Unix does.
>
> Any comments are welcome.

Try not to compare Unix and Windows. They are very different architectures, and work rather differently as a result, in this one key respect. The service provides the resources which an instance needs to run, so killing the service kills an instance. But stopping an instance doesn't kill the service. And Oracle has all sorts of housekeeping requirements meaning that if you stop the instance, expect to see some memory still being chewed up from the allocation provided by the service.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Feb 07 2004 - 20:35:20 CST