Re: Oracle 9i features?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:26:34 +0100

On 7 Feb 2004 00:39:22 -0800, pascaldamian_at_icqmail.com (Pascal Damian) wrote:

>Could someone confirm or answer whether Oracle 9i has the following
>features?
>
>* Can we define several user function (CREATE FUNCTION) that have the
>same name but with different signature (for example, REVERSE(varchar)
>and REVERSE(blob))?

has been present since V7

>* computed field/column is not supported, use VIEW for that purpose;

Has been supported all the time

>* Can columns on a VIEW be indexed?

Only tables can be indexed

>* Only READ COMMITTED and SERIALIZABLE transaction isolation level are
>supported; READ UNCOMMITTED and REPEATABLE READ are not.

please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. In Oracle readers don't block writers
>* Can a unique index accept multiple NULLs?

Yes

>* Maximum number of indexes per table?

No limits, but unlimited indexes will likely have the optimizer choose the wrong index and impair insert/update performance

>* An index can be defined on RAW (but not LONG or LONG RAW) columns.
yes it can

most of your questions are easily answered by doco, please do not treat this forum as a substitute

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA