Re: Start oralce 92 manually on WinXP

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 07:12:35 +0100

On 6 Feb 2004 14:29:28 -0800, lazyoracle_at_yahoo.com (Oracle4Unix) wrote:

>hi,
>
>I am switching my Oracle practice from Solaris to Windows.
>I'm wondering how to start up oracle server in command line?
>
>So far, I use "net start OracleServiceDBNAME", it worked fine. But
>when I tried another way "sqlplus /nolog; conn sys/sys_pw as sysdba",
>it showed:
>"ERROR: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error." It is supposed to be
>"Connected to an idle instance". My tnsnames.ora is absolutely
>correct. What is wrong?
>
>Another thing is about shutting down Oracle in command line,
>similarly, I can use either "net stop OracleServiceDBName" or "sqlplus
>/nolog; conn sys/sys_pw as sysdba; shutdown", both work well, but the
>former releases all Oracle threads from memory completely, the latter
>leaves 3 Oracle threads taking about 23m. What are these remaining
>threads for?
>Plus, with these remaing Oracle threads running, "sqlplus /nolog; conn
>sys/sys_pw as sysdba" will leads to "Connected to an idle instance",
>just like the way Unix does.
>
>Any comments are welcome.

using sqlplus to shutdown the database doesn't shutdown the service. using sqlplus to startup only starts up the database, it doesn't start the service.
You should
a) read the manual prior to posting
b) use the oradim command to startup the service and/or database, and use the oradim command command to shutdown the service and/or database.
The options of oradim can be seen by typing oradim -? in a dos box.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA