Re: SIGSEGV a bug or a feature?

From: Andreas Plesner Jacobsen <apj_at_daarligstil.dk>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:02:04 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-02-04, Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote:

> Yeah, you are right. There shouldn't be anything a user could do to
> sigsegv an _oracle_ process.
>
> Can you give them a simple and easily replicable example using only
> Oracle and platform native software? It's been too long since I've
> DBI'd, but I seem to recall there are translators to C. You might ask
> the perlmongers, too.

The exact cause of the problem has been established, I'm able to reproduce it using DBI and 8.1.7.4 oci libs, and I probably COULD do a C version if I had the time.

But we (I and the Oracle Support personnel) know exactly why the oracle process crashes, so I don't see how this would change anything.

I was sort of hoping that I would be able to get some oracle corp lurkers' attention with this thread, because it is my distinct feeling that I will never (ever, ever, ever) persuade the support-personnel that this is a bug (my TAR is in soft close at the moment). To me, a SIGSEGV caused by network-based input just screams "BUG!" regardless of the client application providing the data.

--
Andreas Plesner Jacobsen | When eating an elephant take one bite at a time.