Re: Hot backup with TimeFinder

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 6 Feb 2004 07:46:14 -0800

opxqersa_at_ephemail.net (Nicolas) wrote in message news:<bc041ad9.0402051101.4ebe1e7e_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I'am looking for a solution to make a hot backup. We have a SF15K,
> DMX2000, VxVm, TimeFinder ...
>
> Do you know the best solution ?

We also used TimeFinder on SF15k and it works with no problem for more than a year. We used this because we ran out of backup capacity during off-hours. So the process was:

  1. BEGIN BACKUP
  2. Split mirrors
  3. Data to BCVs
  4. END BACKUP ... several hours delay
  5. Backup from BCVs

The advantage for our heavily loaded Oracle server was that between BEGIN and END BACKUP was less than five minutes (which is hardly achievable in normal environment for 50+GB database backup).

--
Dusan Bolek