Re: Diskless export/import - here's a method to do so

From: Stephan Bressler <sbresslerx_no_spam_at_arcor.de>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:22:46 +0100

Jared wrote:
> Hi, all -
>
> I recently had to figure out how to transfer a 13GB export between
> boxes. The customary way is to split and compress but I didn't want
> to do that for reasons irrelevant to this posting. I came up with a
> technique to tunnel the export stream between servers. It was created
> on Unix, but can be used in the Windows world if you get the M$
> version of the utilities installed. Here we go:

Hi,
you could even run it without mknod from the source system (or target): exp xxx/xxx file=/dev/fd/1 volsize=0 | ssh target ". _setup_env_script; imp yyy/yyy /dev/fd/0"

/dev/fd/* are alias to a process' file descriptors, 0=STDIN, 1=STDOUT, etc.

I usually use this feature to transfer whole directory trees to other systems using tar.

Stephan Received on Fri Feb 06 2004 - 01:22:46 CST