Re: Copy Prdoduction database to Test database on different machine

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:59:22 +0100

Herman Pool wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to make a copy of the production database to a different
> machine and then reload the database for testing purpose.
> This must be done during the night when nobody is on the production
> system.
>
> On both machines:
> OS: Linux RH 8.0
> Oracle: 9.2.0.1
> Same directory structure.
>
> Which steps do I have to take or which scripts do I have to run?
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Herman Pool

I had a similar requirement recently, although you seem to want to do it nightly? It might be worth to check the RMAN documentation on duplicate. When properly set up the only script you need might be

rman> connect target /
rman> connect auxilliary database <privileged user>/<password>@duplicatedb
rman> duplicate target database to duplicatedb;

However this requires a few preparation steps which are nicely explained in the Recovery Manager UserGuide, which is available at

        http://tahiti.oracle.com

HTH Holger Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 09:59:22 CST