Re: yipeee!

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:52:38 -0700

"Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com> wrote in message news:bvtjk7$bvp$1_at_hanover.torolab.ibm.com...
> My DB2 "offer" would be DB2 without DPF on two AIX boxes (OP wants AIX
> it seems). The seoncd box licenced as idle standby only (1 CPU).
> With clusterware to handle the failover.
> This is under the assumption that a rewrite of the app to a relational
> DBMS is intended.
> There is not enough information to home in on which edition or box-size
> to home in to.
>
> It seems Mark A. believes CICS would be less invasive. I'm not familiar
> with either VSE or CICS so I keep my mouth shut.
>
> Let's presume 100% scalability for RAC (if you want to use it) for the
> sake of math (and to not start another flame war) and similar resource
> requirements (AIX, RAM/box, comparable disk overall).
>
> Your turn
> Serge
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 SQL Compiler Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

I think that what they want to do is change the COBOL application data access from VSAM to DB2, running under CICS transaction monitor on RS6000. This could be done without a complete redesign of the application, although database access in each program would have to be changed by hand from VSAM to DB2 and thoroughly tested. VSAM KSDS is an inverted list database (not hierarchical like IMS) so there could be a one-to-one mapping of existing VSAM datasets to DB2 tables.

But again, I think their main motivation is to save money, and the conversion certainly would not be cheap, although much less expensive than a complete re-write.

The hardware redundancy issues could be worked out in a number of ways, as already mentioned. Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 08:52:38 CST