Re: Diskless export/import - here's a method to do so

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 14:48:50 GMT

jared_at_hwai.com (Jared) wrote in

> Hi, all -
>
> I recently had to figure out how to transfer a 13GB export between
> boxes. The customary way is to split and compress but I didn't want
> to do that for reasons irrelevant to this posting. I came up with a
> technique to tunnel the export stream between servers. It was created
> on Unix, but can be used in the Windows world if you get the M$
> version of the utilities installed. Here we go:
>
> Assumptions:
>
> SOURCE = machine we are exporting from
> TARGET = machine we are importing to
>
> Prereqs:
>
> * SSH set up to connect without passwords (RSA or DSA key pair method)
> *If on Solaris, change out 'cat' for GNU version (on Solaris utilities
> disk)
> *Normal Oracle exp and imp issues apply (e.g., catalog issues between
> db versions).
>
> On TARGET machine
>
> 1. mknod /tmp/inpipe.dmp p
> 2. imp xxx/xxx file=inpipe.dmp & (bg is optional; I do it to make
> sure it blocks)
>
> On SOURCE machine
>
> 3. mknod /tmp/outpipe p
> 4. ssh -C user_at_targethost 'cat > /tmp/inpipe.dmp' < /tmp/outpipe &
> 5. exp xxx/xxx file=/tmp/outpipe
>
> If you have two xterms up you will be able to see the activity.
>
> I did this yesterday with a 13GB export; today I am going to try a
> larger one.
>
> I hope you find this useful.
>
> (There - I've contributed back to the community for years of lurking
> and leaching :-) )
>
> Kind regards,
>
> jh

Nice to see people thinking a little outside the box. I had a similar situation a while back and came up with a similar solution. It used ftp to move the data instead of ssh. I suspect NFS could also be used but have never tested it.

ssh is a nice solution because you could potentially move data accross a public network in a secure manner.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email