Diskless export/import - here's a method to do so

From: Jared <jared_at_hwai.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 06:22:25 -0800

Hi, all -

I recently had to figure out how to transfer a 13GB export between boxes. The customary way is to split and compress but I didn't want to do that for reasons irrelevant to this posting. I came up with a technique to tunnel the export stream between servers. It was created on Unix, but can be used in the Windows world if you get the M$ version of the utilities installed. Here we go:

Assumptions:

SOURCE = machine we are exporting from
TARGET = machine we are importing to

Prereqs:

On TARGET machine

  1. mknod /tmp/inpipe.dmp p
  2. imp xxx/xxx file=inpipe.dmp & (bg is optional; I do it to make sure it blocks)

On SOURCE machine

3. mknod /tmp/outpipe p
4. ssh -C user_at_targethost 'cat > /tmp/inpipe.dmp' < /tmp/outpipe &
5. exp xxx/xxx file=/tmp/outpipe

If you have two xterms up you will be able to see the activity.

I did this yesterday with a 13GB export; today I am going to try a larger one.

I hope you find this useful.

(There - I've contributed back to the community for years of lurking and leaching :-) )

Kind regards,

jh

--
Jared Hecker