Re: yipeee!

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:19:07 -0700

> > Serge, Daniel does not understand the difference between a data
warehouse
> > application (which benefits from share nothing, or quasi-share nothing)
> and
> > an OLTP application (which benefits from share everything with fallover
> > capability). It's really scary that he is getting paid to teach people
> about
> > database.
>
> So now that we have established that the app is transactional and requires
> HA, and setting aside the personal remarks which way would you jump?
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

As I mentioned on another post, I doubt they want to pay for a complete rewrite of the mainframe application. I think they want to port to CICS on RS6000 to save money, and that means they probably can't afford a completely new custom application. They might be able to use a VSAM emulator on CICS/RS6000 or convert the application to DB2 running under CICS on RS6000. I don't know if Oracle works with CICS on RS/6000.

I would probably stay on the mainframe until they find a packaged application that runs on a distributed platform. This may require that the company change parts of their business process to fit the package, but that is what I would do. If they don't want a new application, I would stay on the mainframe.

The odds of a medium scale application development project ever being completed with code in production is less than 50%. Of the remaining 50% that make it into production, the vast majority of those projects will be over way budget and/or seriously late to completion.

In a situation like this, picking the DBMS product is not the first decision to be made. Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 08:19:07 CST