Re: yipeee!

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:16:45 -0000

"Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com> wrote in message news:bvrqg4$2l$1_at_hanover.torolab.ibm.com...
> Mike,
>
> I get the feeling this is not a high concurrency and high throughput
> environment? So, no matter what DBMS you end up with, I'd be hesitant to
> let myself being talked into any high-end, pay extra, features....
>
> Cheers
> Serge
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 SQL Compiler Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

I agree - there is what might be an interesting development for Mike with regards to 10g, namely that standard edition Oracle will come with RAC essentially for free. This would mean that they could buy a (relatively) cheap edition of Oracle with the possibility of doing the 2 node failover later. I'd agree with Daniel that 2 2cpu Intel boxes might make more sense for this than a risc box.

I'd also suggest that you take a look at what expertise you have in house and try and match that.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA