Re: The Denis Prize

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:57:46 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4021ebd6$0$15135$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Same deal here. The test is whether it makes me think "Ah! That's
> practically as good as the Windows install", which is a bit subjective I
> suppose, but will have to do. And if the endeavour can kick off some more
> general 'ease-of-install' thinking in the Linux community, so much the
> better. But yes, for it to do that, the solution would have to become open
> source or similar. I certainly didn't intend to make money out of it.

I'm playing around with Oracle 9.2 on Mandrake 9.2 and am rapidly coming to a similar conclusion. At the moment I'd settle for a list of what libraries are required for the install (and if different for the operation of the software). Most of the docs I have seen are written from a HOWTO point of view, but this assumes that your selection of installed rpms is the same as the authors. For example HJR's doc on Mandrake 9.1 (which is excellent) didn't cover the fact that I needed the compat-c++ libraries installed in order to run OUI. Now I am sure that this is down to the difference in Mandrake versions and the packages that get installed.

My preliminary thoughts so far then are

  1. A list of required software would be excellent
  2. different linux distros are NOT the same OS.
  3. This all seems very dll-hell like, a problem I've not seen on Windows for at least 4 years.(I'm sure that remark will come back and bite me)
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA