Re: yipeee!

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:04:44 -0800

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

>> "Rob Cowell" <rjc4687_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Oracle Real Application Clusters
>>
>> http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.show_toc?partno=a96597&remark=drilldown&word=real+application+clusters
>>
>> Just to add to that, if you are writing the app from scratch RAC also
>> supports a technology (transparent application failover) where users
>> connected to a node that fails will failover to a running node without
>> dataloss and without being disconnected from the application. I am
>> unsure if
>> IBM have a similar technology
>
> Only on mainframes. With shared nothing if you lose a node ... the
> storage associated with that node is lost too.

Yep. Also, I really don't want to sound like I'm picking only on Oracle, because I complain about other DBMSes too. Oracle's TAF fooled a number of customers into believing it really was Transparent Application Failover, but it seems to be so only for certain mostly-idle clients. The reason I say this is because while there is no data loss during a failover, nor even any transactional context (locks), what is lost is any *computational* context that the client may be relying on if it was actually doing something when the failover occurred. For instance, most cursor context is lost. Java clients that may have created and are re-using Prepared Statements will find that all those prepared statements are now defunct, and must be recreated before the client can even retry what they were doing. This generally means returning to the line of code right after obtaining the original connection. Having the connection automatically failover to an appropriate backup DBMS is certainly valuable, but calling it "TAF" was 'aiming high' in the marketing department, IMHO. Joe Received on Wed Feb 04 2004 - 11:04:44 CST