Re: yipeee!

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:25:26 -0500

Actually if we go back that far I don't think the topic was shared nothing vs shared disk to begin with.. but for the sake of peace:

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Serge Rielau wrote:
>

>> The topic was that you alleged DB2 cannot recover from a failing node.

> Not as I recall. The topic was someone considering DB2 or Oracle. And
> considering shared nothing vs shared everything. The architectures are
> different and lead to different outcomes.
>
> Can you fail-over with shared nothing if you lose one or more nodes?
Yes! And I'm not going to repeat myself. Read the thread.

> Can you add or remove nodes without some code rewrite with shared
> nothing (small but some)?

Given that this is a brand new app: Yes, written for shared nothing. You start with 2 nodes you scale to 999
> Can you add or remove nodes without repartitioning the data with shared
> nothing?

Yes, to offload the system burden. Repartitioning would be advised a some point to retune the system the extra node stays put.

> Can you add or remove nodes without a shutdown with shared nothing?
I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Never tried it.

Now let's close this of, and get back to OP's questions:

OP states he needs HA. OP so far shows no indication that clustering for sclability is needed. OP is putting up the requirements not the group :-)

I would propose two boxes. Clusterware, DB2 licensed for the CPU's on the one box and 1 CPU for the other (it's in standby). I would NOT, repeat: NOT recommend DPF because there is NO indication that it's needed.

Now that will come out at price X

Now one can compare that with whatever the Oracle crowd would propose which will be price Y.

That plus whatever other input OP has (skillset, TCO (let's not even get into that one), company strategy (special discounts?), ...) will yield the database to choose from.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau