Re: 10G Certification

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2004 13:14:43 -0800

"DJ" <nospamplease_at_goaway.com> wrote in message news:<yRTTb.16537$YV1.2387_at_newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net>...
> "JM" <j_mouland_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Any idea when there will be an OCP upgrade exam for 10G?
>
> I have a problem with that, why do you want to be certified in something you
> only have a passing knowledge in?

Perhaps in order to learn about it, demonstrate a desire to remain current, get past clueless HR filters, feel confident, and cure baldness?

Also, some places give rewards for certs, useless or not. Other places have limited education budgets, and if you can use it to get certified, that may have some additional personal benefit than simply learning the same material.

> Why not wait a year till you have used it in anger and feel you know it,
> then certify yourself. That sounds more rewarding to me

Biggest problem with self-teaching is a big skew in viewpoint. Yes, there are plenty of 10G new features docs, but most people are only going to try a little beyond what they have experience in, and not too many organizations are going to support a whole lot of large-scale experimentation, and not too many people are going to run enterprise-class grid software on their laptops or 300Mhz PC's with W98.

OCP upgrades are just one part of experience and education for a DBA. If you take it too far before working with it every day, you might just as well not take it at all. If you take it after working with it for a long time, you might just as well not take it at all. There is some happy medium, varies by the type of learning each indivdual does best and their particular circumstances.

If I sound like I'm defending or advocating OCP, I don't mean to. I'm just saying there is a place for The Party Line of O education within the context of being a competent DBA. The hard part is to not simply be another income stream for Oracle. There is a very great incentive there for O to think of it that way.

Hmmm, cdos is a party line for those who don't like The Party Line. :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I am so hip my errors are correct.  I am so perfect so divine so