Re: The Denis Prize

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:38:09 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
>

>>>For the life of me I can't see why this wasn't done before, I know the
>>>distros have their "minor" differences but I would *think* that someone
>>>half-decent at scripting could write a routine that checked for oracle
>>>account etc (SuSE already does all that for you), created neccesary
>>>users & groups if they didnt exist, prompt for distro/release and then
>>>performed neccesary actions such as orainstRoot.sh etc. - you get the
>>>picture. If you get prompted for root password a few times so be it.
>>
>>I don't see it as very generous at all.  That's only 100 hours at
>>$50/hr, which is certainly below my rate.  And I don't see how you
>>could even run all that stuff in 100 hours, much less write and QC it.

> Well, gee Joel. You part with larger amounts of *your* own cash then. Sorry
> you think I'm being mean. This is free cash for something which all Linux
> experts tell me is a bit of script-kiddy shell scripting homework.
>

>>But it really shouldn't be that hard, so maybe some grad student
>>slave-labor can be used.

> If it's not that hard, then $5000 of my own cash seems more than generous.
>
> Jeez.
> HJR

Hey I think yer *more* than generous Howard! I'm going to track down a fellow I used to work with that could throw complex AIX scripts together in a few hours and see if he's interested. Even with my *limited* programming exp I have often thought about this very thing, but I still wonder why Oracle hasnt done this in the first place.. (see my wish list in nov/dec Oracle mag "peer to peer")

btw, any takers yet?

cheers! Received on Wed Feb 04 2004 - 11:38:09 CST