Re: The Denis Prize

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:55:49 +1100

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0402021543.34c6bce0_at_posting.google.com...

> > For the life of me I can't see why this wasn't done before, I know the
> > distros have their "minor" differences but I would *think* that someone
> > half-decent at scripting could write a routine that checked for oracle
> > account etc (SuSE already does all that for you), created neccesary
> > users & groups if they didnt exist, prompt for distro/release and then
> > performed neccesary actions such as orainstRoot.sh etc. - you get the
> > picture. If you get prompted for root password a few times so be it.
>
> I don't see it as very generous at all. That's only 100 hours at
> $50/hr, which is certainly below my rate. And I don't see how you
> could even run all that stuff in 100 hours, much less write and QC it.

Well, gee Joel. You part with larger amounts of *your* own cash then. Sorry you think I'm being mean. This is free cash for something which all Linux experts tell me is a bit of script-kiddy shell scripting homework.

> But it really shouldn't be that hard, so maybe some grad student
> slave-labor can be used.

If it's not that hard, then $5000 of my own cash seems more than generous.

Jeez.
HJR Received on Wed Feb 04 2004 - 00:55:49 CST